“If you want to be important—wonderful. If you want to be recognized—wonderful. If you want to be great—wonderful. But recognize that he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. That’s a new definition of greatness.”
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
How lucky we are that our nation sets aside a day to be great together in service to our communities, especially during trying times. At Percolator, we’d like to encourage you to make Monday a “day on” instead of a day off and join in the MLK Day of Service.
And of course we must offer you some engagement technology to help! Find service opportunities near you with this searchable database from nationalservice.gov and allforgood.org. We’ve already tagged that link to find the MLK Day events; you just need to know your zip code.
No database is complete without testing, so we found each of the Percolator staff — a bicoastal crew — a chance to help near them.
- In Seattle, Karen can celebrate with El Centro de la Raza at a rally in Seattle, and Chris can join an urban forest restoration.
- Matthew and Barbara can help the Red Cross and others through the Whatcom Volunteer Center‘s event.
- Chad can volunteer away his (theoretical) library fines beautifying a San Jose Public Library branch!
- In the City of Brotherly Love, host to the country’s oldest MLK Day of Service, Ben has lots of options, like activist training, literacy kits, and meal delivery.
- To attend a this juvenile justice workshop, Drew is just a short ferry ride away from Vashon Island.
- John can raise his voice in song with a community-wide gospel choir for justice. OK, we resorted to google here, but Hood River is small!
See, no matter where you are, we bet there’s a way you can help your hometown this — and every — weekend. Tell us on twitter where you found your greatness!